Wednesday 7 November 2007

The Lion's Roar!

“Things may come to those who wait ...but only the things left by those who hustle.” Abraham Lincoln

If we're honest, this was a team we should probably beat, but I'm not going to pretend there isn't something satisfying about going behind, summoning the effort to come roaring back, then winning the game at the buzzer... it's very Days of Thunder!

We beat Mold Wizards 76-78 away, but even I had a sneaky look at the scoreboard after the final buzzer - just to make sure - before I started cheering. With our slam dunk champ Titch out with surgery and another young shooter sidelined through injury it was just nice to have a core of players turn out, who had practised the plays together.

After two losses on the trot, coach Dan was anxious for us to get on track, and while we played far better in the opening stages, the missed shots and rusty mistakes meant we were a fair way back coming into the final quarter.

When you get into the last few minutes of a game and you're determined to keep fighting, you push and push until you’re sure your body can’t go any further, then something clicks. Your brain, realising you’re not going to listen to it, finally gives up and says to you: “Fine! I’ll turn the pain off, but I hope you know how much it’s gonna hurt after!”
From there it’s like a little dream world, where you’re aware your arms and legs are moving where they should, you’re just not sure who’s making them do it.
If you win, that’s great! Your brain is so busy cheering and dancing around with pom-poms that it forgets to turn the pain back on, at least until the next morning. Just don’t lose.... that's a whole adventure in pain!

This was a good blow out of the cobwebs. We went behind, got angry with ourselves for making stupid mistakes, then came back with so much momentum that it caught our opponents on the back foot and they couldn’t fight back. Some good defensive stops and a few three point daggers from point guard Sean and we were right back in it, winning by just two points.

It's just what we needed. Working hard through that huge and punishing loss last game was like folding steel, hammering it to make it strong. Coming through to win this week was like plunging that steel into cold water.... now what we need is that sharp cutting edge!

As for me, I'm still desperately frustrated with my shooting. I don't know if it's a timing thing or just bad positioning on my part, but whenever I get the ball I can almost always see a better pass than a shot open to me.

Perhaps I need to go to the other extreme and start putting too many shots up, in order to find that middle ground... Training tonight, so I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes!

No comments: